Re: [RFC] ELF Relocatable x86 and x86_64 bzImages

On 8/1/06, Eric W. Biederman <[email protected]> wrote:

The problem:

We can't always run the kernel at 1MB or 2MB, and so people who need
different addresses must build multiple kernels.  The bzImage format
can't even represent loading a kernel at other than it's default address.
With kexec on panic now starting to be used by distros having a kernel
not running at the default load address is starting to become common.

The goal of this patch series is to build kernels that are relocatable
at run time, and to extend the bzImage format to make it capable of
expressing a relocatable kernel.

Nice work. I'd really like to see support for relocatable kernels in
mainline (and kexec-tools!).

Eric, could you please list the advantages of your run-time relocation
code over my incomplete relocate-in-userspace prototype posted to
fastboot a few weeks ago?

One thing I know for sure is that your implementation supports bzImage
while my only supports relocation of vmlinux files. Are there any
other uses for relocatable bzImage except kdump?

Thanks!

/ magnus