Re: reiser4: maybe just fix bugs?

Nate Diller wrote:
On 8/1/06, David Masover <[email protected]> wrote:
Vladimir V. Saveliev wrote:

I could be entirely wrong, though.  I speak for neither
Hans/Namesys/reiserfs nor LKML.  Talk amongst yourselves...

i should clarify things a bit here.  yes, hans' goal is for there to
be no difference between the "xattr" namespace and the "readdir" one.
unfortunately, this is not feasible with the current VFS, and some
major work would have to be done to enable this without some
pathological cases cropping up.  some very smart people think that it
cannot be done at all.

But an xattr interface should work just fine, even if the rest of the system is inaccessible (no readdir interface) -- preventing all these pathological problems, except the one where Hans implements it the way I'm thinking, and kernel people hate it.