Re: single bit flip detector.

eventuallyDave Jones wrote:
In case where we detect a single bit has been flipped, we spew
the usual slab corruption message, which users instantly think
is a kernel bug.  In a lot of cases, single bit errors are
down to bad memory, or other hardware failure.

This patch adds an extra line to the slab debug messages
in those cases, in the hope that users will try memtest before
they report a bug.

000: 6b 6b 6b 6b 6a 6b 6b 6b 6b 6b 6b 6b 6b 6b 6b 6b
Single bit error detected. Possibly bad RAM. Run memtest86.

Given the probability of hardware vs. kernel, you could replace "possible" with "probable" and not get any argument from me.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>
  Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a