Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

Dnia Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:32:39 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email protected]> napisał:

On Mon, 2006-07-31 18:44:33 +0200, Rudy Zijlstra <[email protected]> wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-31 17:59:58 +0200, Adrian Ulrich
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > A colleague of mine happened to create a ~300gb filesystem and started > > to migrate Mailboxes (Maildir-style format = many small files (1-3kb))
> > to the new LUN. At about 70% the filesystem ran out of inodes; Not a
>
> So preparation work wasn't done.

Of course you are right. Preparation work was not fully done. And using
ext1 would also have been possible. I suspect you are still using ext1,
cause with proper preparation it is perfectly usable.

Oh, and before people start laughing at me, here are some personal or
friend's experiences with different filesystems:

  * reiser3: A HDD containing a reiser3 filesystem was tried to be
    booted on a machine that fucked up DMA writes. Fortunately, it
    crashed really soon (right after going for read-write.)  After
    rebooting the HDD on a sane PeeCee, it refused to boot. Starting
    off some rescue system showed an _empty_ root filesystem.

  * A friend's XFS data partition (portable USB/FireWire HDD) once
    crashed due to being hot-unplugged off the USB.  The in-kernel XFS
    driver refused to mount that thing again, and the tools also
    refused to fix any errors. (Don't ask, no details at my hands...)

  * JFS just always worked for me. Though I've never ever had a broken
    HDD where it (or it's tools) could have shown how well-done they
    were, so from a crash-recovery point of view, it's untested.

  * Being a regular ext3 user, I had lots of broken HDDs containing
    ext3 filesystems. For every single case, it has been easy fixing
    the filesystem after cloning. Just _once_, fsck wasn't able to fix
    something, so I did it manually with some disk editor. This worked
    well because the on-disk data structures are actually as simple as
    they are.

Is this some kind of "who lost more files on what fs" competition? What's the prize? Topic subject sugests that it should cover something else. Please, let's get back on track. First of all, it's about reiser4 so can't we forget about other filesystem's unless it's got something to do with reiser4 merge?