Re: [RFC 1/4] kevent: core files.

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 02:33:22PM +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov ([email protected]) wrote:
> Ok, let's do it in the following way:
> I present new version of kevent with new syscalls and fixed issues mentioned
> before, while people look at it we can end up with mapped buffer design.
> Is it ok?

Since kevents are never generated by kernel, but only marked as ready,
length of the main queue performs as flow control, so we can create a
mapped buffer which will have space equal to the main queue length
multiplied by size of the copied to userspace structure plus 16 bits for
the start index of the kernel writing side, i.e. it will store offset
where the oldest event was placed.
Since queue length is a limited factor and thus no new events can be added
when queue is full, that means that buffer is full too and userspace
must read events. When syscall is called to add new kevent and provided
there offset differs from what kernel stored, that means that all events
from kernel to provided index have been read and new events can be added.
Thus we can even allow read-only mapping. Kernel's index is incremented
modulo queue length. If kevent was removed after it was marked as
ready, it's copy stays in the mapped buffer, but special flag can be
assigned to show that kevent is no longer valid.

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov