Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

On Mon, 2006-07-31 20:11:20 +0200, Matthias Andree <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw schrieb am 2006-07-31:
> >   * reiser3: A HDD containing a reiser3 filesystem was tried to be
> >     booted on a machine that fucked up DMA writes. Fortunately, it
> >     crashed really soon (right after going for read-write.)  After
> >     rebooting the HDD on a sane PeeCee, it refused to boot. Starting
> >     off some rescue system showed an _empty_ root filesystem.
>
> Massive hardware problems don't count. ext2/ext3 doesn't look much better in
> such cases. I had a machine with RAM gone bad (no ECC - I wonder what

They do! Very much, actually. These happen In Real Life, so I have to
pay attention to them. Once you're in setups with > 10000 machines,
everything counts. At some certain point, you can even use HDD's
temperature sensors in old machines to diagnose dead fans.

Everything that eases recovery for whatever reason is something you
have to pay attention to. The simplicity of ext{2,3} is something I
really fail to find proper words for. As well as the really good fsck.
Once seen a SIGSEGV'ing fsck, you really don't want to go there.

MfG, JBG

--
       Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email protected]                +49-172-7608481
 Signature of:                       Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf