Re: ipw3945 status

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 05:00:54PM +0200, Kasper Sandberg wrote:
> thats entirely different, if some firmware image is loaded into a card,
> thats that, but running a userspace daemon is just entirely different,
> what would happen if intel for some reason stopped supporting earlier
> cards(as hardware manufactureres do after some time), and linux
> kernel/userspace gets some change, preventing the binary daemon from
> running? then what? we have lost.

Um, last time I checked we could still run some *minix* binaries from
before Linux was born, and we still can run statically linked a.out
programs created over a decade ago.  I don't think this is a serious
objection, given that historically the Linux kernel/userspace syscall
interface has been quite stable.

Of course, I'd recomend against said driver using sysfs, but Greg K-H
tells us that all breakagaes are the fault of buggy device drivers
(just as supposedly all swsuspend problems are also about buggy device
drivers), so I guess we're OK.  :-)

							- Ted