2.6.18-rc2-mm1 fails to reboot properly on Dell Latitude CPiA

After rebooting "normally" through init 6, or by hitting sysrq-b, the
backlight won't come back on and BIOS seems to hang at POST or
something.  After a power cycle, it runs the extensive POST instead of
the quick one. Same goes for -rc1-mm2, btw. kexec runs fine, as long as
I provide the "implicit" initramfs file required by the newer -mm
releases at load time.

Any recent changes related to the way i386 machines are kicked to
reboot?

In case anyone needs any info, I'll provide that asap, but right now I
don't have a clue at all. Afraid I cannot test on my workstation, since
my screen died and I don't have a replacement/cannot afford a purchase
right now.

TIA,
Chris