Re: Driver model ISA bus

> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:54:02PM +0200, Rene Herman wrote:
>> Hi Greg.
>>
>> The below was sent a month ago and I haven't heard anything back. Saw
>> you saying "it's getting there" about this thing on the kernelnewbies
>> list but where's there?
>>

> Sorry for the delay.  It looks great to me so I've added it to my tree
> and will push it upstream when I can.

Would it be better to have a name variable directly in isa_device and
then copy that to driver in isa_register_device (like
pci_register_device does)?

I was trying to look for use examples of this code in 2.6.18-rc2 but
didn't see any.  Is the intent of name to be the cards address, and
ndev to be the function on a specific card?  Would it be better to
seperate name from the thing that ends up in bus_id?

I only ask as was looking to use something similiar to other code
I've seen in kernel in that it seemed the bus_type + bus_id would
uniquely identify a particular card that would pretty much persist
(on removal/addition of hardware?).  When a legacy isa device was
found by this code they switched to mangling an id from the cards
address.

I think between that and a probe test you could make pretty sure
you had exactly the same card.  Am wondering if this code allowed
for something similiar, in that bus_type + bus_id could be stored
and used later to locate the same card.

Regards,
Simon