Re: [patch 2/5] Add the Kconfig option for the stackprotector feature

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 08:50:37PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > After reading this thread, I do understand why you write once
> > "GCC version 4.1" and once "gcc version 4.2".
> >
> > But for the normal user this will be quite confusing.
>
> Yes it's a mess.
>
> > What about simply removing the first sentence of the help text since
> > it's anyway handled by the NOTE?
>
> It should be obsolete with autoprobing for the feature as earlier discussed.

That's not the point of the version information in the help text.

The point of the version information in the help text is to inform the
user that the option has zero effect with older compilers.

> -Andi

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.