Re: [RFC] /dev/itimer

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 00:44 +0200, Edgar Toernig wrote:
> Nicholas Miell wrote:
> >
> > Solaris lets you specify SIGEV_PORT in your struct sigevent which then
> > queues timer completions (or anything else that takes a struct sigevent,
> > like POSIX AIO) to a port and then all types of queued events (including
> > fd polling and user generated events) can be waited on and fetched with
> > a single function call.
>
> There must be a reason that I haven't seen that used in the wild yet ...

It's fairly new (Solaris 10 only), so nobody knows about it, and
(anecdotally) it's full of bugs. The interface looks nice on paper,
though.

It's documented at
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5168/6mbb3hrir?a=view
but docs.sun.com has gone to hell lately, so you might have trouble
accessing it.

http://partneradvantage.sun.com/protected/solaris10/adoptionkit/tech/man/port_create.txt
seems to work right now, but it doesn't have nice hyperlinks to the
related pages.

--
Nicholas Miell <[email protected]>