Re: [RFC, PATCH -rt] NMI-safe mb- and atomic-free RT RCU

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 05:48:57PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 05:02:31PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:53:56PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 08:46:37AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
A possible elaboration would be to keep a linked list of tasks preempted
in their RCU read-side critical sections so that they can be further
boosted to the highest possible priority (numerical value of zero,
not sure what the proper symbol is) if the grace period takes too many
jiffies to complete.  Another piece is priority boosting when blocking
on a mutex from within an RCU read-side critical section.

I'm not sure how folks feel about putting something like that in the
scheduler path since it's such a specialized cases. Some of the scheduler
folks might come out against this.

They might well.  And the resulting discussion might reveal a better
way.  Or it might well turn out that the simple approach of boosting
to an intermediate level without the list will suffice.

Another thing. What you mention above is really just having a set of owners
for the read side and not really a preemption list tracking thing with RCU
and special scheduler path. The more RCU does this kind of thing the more
it's just like a traditional read/write lock but with more parallelism since
it's holding on to read side owners on a per CPU basis.

There are certainly some similarities between a priority-boosted RCU
read-side critical section and a priority-boosted read-side rwlock.
In theory, the crucial difference is that as long as one has sufficient
memory, one can delay priority-boosting the RCU read-side critical
sections without hurting update-side latency (aside from the grace period
delays, of course).

So I will no doubt be regretting my long-standing advice to use
synchronize_rcu() over call_rcu().  Sooner or later someone will care
deeply about the grace-period latency.  In fact, I already got some
questions about that at this past OLS.  ;-)

Yick!! Do people really expect these things to finish in a predictable amount of time? This reminds me of C++ hackers starting to code Java. They want to use the finalizer to close files etc. just as they use the destructor in C++, but can't understand that they have to wait until the garbage collector has run. RCU is a primitive kind of garbage collector. You should never depend on how long it is about doing it's work, just that it will get done at some point.

Esben

This was close to the idea I had for extending read/write locks to be more
parallel friendly for live CPUs, per CPU owner bins on individual cache lines
(I'll clarify if somebody asks), but the use of read/write locks is seldom
and in non-critical places, so just moving the code fully to RCU would be a
better solution. The biggest problem is to scan or denote to some central
structure (task struct, lock struct) when you were either in or out of the
reader section without costly atomic operations. That's a really huge cost
as you know already (OLS slides).

Yep -- create something sort of like brlock, permitting limited read-side
parallelism, and also permitting the current exclusive-lock priority
inheritance to operate naturally.

Easy enough to do with per-CPU variables if warranted.  Although the
write-side lock-acquisition latency can get a bit ugly, since you have
to acquire N locks.

I expect that we all (myself included) have a bit of learning left to
work out the optimal locking strategy so as to provide both realtime
latency and performance/scalability.  ;-)

							Thanx, Paul