Re: async network I/O, event channels, etc

On Thu, Jul 27 2006, David Miller wrote:
> From: Jens Axboe <[email protected]>
> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:11:15 +0200
>
> > Ownership transition from user -> kernel that is, what I'm trying to say
> > that returning ownership to the user again is the tricky part.
>
> Yes, it is important that for TCP, for example, we don't give
> the user the event until the data is acknowledged and the skb's
> referencing that data are fully freed.
>
> This is further complicated by the fact that packetization boundaries
> are going to be different from AIO buffer boundaries.
>
> I think this is what you are alluding to.

Precisely. And this is the bit that is currently still broken for
splice-to-socket, since it gives that ack right after ->sendpage() has
been called. But that's a known deficiency right now, I think Alexey is
currently looking at that (as well as receive side support).

--
Jens Axboe