Re: async network I/O, event channels, etc

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 11:10:55PM -0700, David Miller ([email protected]) wrote:
> From: Evgeniy Polyakov <[email protected]>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:28:17 +0400
>
> > I have not created additional DMA memory allocation methods, like
> > Ulrich described in his article, so I handle it inside NAIO which
> > has some overhead (I posted get_user_pages() sclability graph some
> > time ago).
>
> I've been thinking about this aspect, and I think it's very
> interesting.  Let's be clear what the ramifications of this
> are first.
>
> Using the terminology of Network Algorithmics, this is an
> instance of Principle 2, "Shift computation in time".
>
> Instead of using get_user_pages() at AIO setup, we instead map the
> thing to userspace later when the user wants it.  Pinning pages is a
> pain because both user and kernel refer to the buffer at the same
> time.  We get more flexibility when the user has to map the thing
> explicitly.

I.e. map skb's data to userspace? Not a good idea especially with it's
tricky lifetime and unability for userspace to inform kernel when it
finished and skb can be freed (without additional syscall).
I did it with af_tlb zero-copy sniffer (but I substitute mapped pages
with physical skb->data pages), and it was not very good.

> I want us to think about how a user might want to use this.  What
> I anticipate is that users will want to organize a pool of AIO
> buffers for themselves using this DMA interface.  So the events
> they are truly interested in are of a finer granularity than you
> might expect.  They want to know when pieces of a buffer are
> available for reuse.

Ah, I see.
Well, I think preallocate some buffers and use that in AIO setup is a
plus, since in that case user does not care about when it is possible to
reuse the same buffer - when appropriate kevent is completed, that means
that provided buffer is no longer in use by kernel, and user can reuse
it.

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov