Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

Russell Cattelan wrote:

Guess it's sort of like adopting a 8 year old child vs a new born, hard
to tell what happened in first 8 years.

And, by that token, the newborn is sometimes preferable. It hasn't had time to develop severe emotional problems, it's physically harmless, and you get to help it form its ideas and beliefs.

On the other hand, the 8 year old is potty trained, you won't have to change a single diaper, it's intelligent and makes you question things, it understands what you want it to do...

So, it depends what kind of developer you are, what kind of gatekeeper, and what kind of project it is. I still believe in releasing early and often, but I can see many reasons not to. Some are financial -- Namesys is trying to operate a business, so any features they open up too early could be that much harder to sell as a commercial product. The repacker, for instance.

I'm not arguing for closed source, I'm just saying that once you open, there's no going back. Many times it's a good thing, but sometimes you want to wait and see.