Re: filesystem tuning hints?

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:56:12 PDT, joel said:

> I also tested ext2 just out of curiosity, and it thrashed all the others
> by a large margin. Could I be doing something really really dumb here,
> or is this just the cost of journalling?

Journalling costs performance at the price of added I/O.

> Are there any dynamic kernel parameters which could bring any of the
> journalled filesystems performance to a more respectable level?

Dynamic parameters?  Probably not.  If you *really* care about performance,
you put the journal on a different physical drive (and maybe controller) than
the actual filesystem itself.  From 'man mkfs.ext3':

       -J journal-options
	                   device=external-journal
                          Attach  the  filesystem  to the journal block device
                          located on external-journal.  The  external  journal
                          must already have been created using the command

                          mke2fs -O journal_dev external-journal