Re: libata pata_pdc2027x success on sparc64

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:07:44 +0400, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
>> In contrast, the old IDE pdc202xx_new driver had lots
>> of problems with CRC errors causing it to disable DMA.
>
>    Hm, from my experience it usually falls back to UltraDMA/44 and then the
>thing startrt working...
>
>> I wasn't able to manually tune it above udma3 without
>> getting more errors. This isn't sparc64-specific: I've
>> had similar negative experience with the old IDE Promise
>> drivers in a PowerMac.
>
>    This happens because the "old" driver misses the PLL calibration code.
>    You may want to try these Albert's patches:
>
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=110992452800002&r=1&w=2
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=110992471500002&r=1&w=2
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=110992490100002&r=1&w=2
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111019238400003&r=1&w=2
>
>    It looks like they were never considered for accepting into the kernel
>while they succesfully solve this issue. Maybe Albert could try pushing them
>into -mm tree once more?

Thank you for these links. After fixing up whitespace damage in
these four messages the patches applied OK and more importantly
eliminated _all_ misbehaviour from pdc202xx_new on both my sparc64
and my PowerMac.

These fixes belong in Linus' kernel, not some semi-obscure
mailing list archive.

/Mikael