Re: Generic B-tree implementation

Gary

I said B-Tree and not binary tree, please read the explaination about
B-tree at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-tree. Also I am aware of AVL
trees.

I never claimed that my implementation is better or anything like
that. I posted the code so that someone in need of the data structure
might use it. Also I would be willing them to help with their project.

- Vishal

On 7/18/06, Gary Funck <[email protected]> wrote:

Vishal Patil wrote:

> I am attaching source files containing a very generic implementation
> of B-trees in C. The implementation corresponds to in memory B-Tree
> data structure. The B-tree library consists of two files, btree.h and
> btree.c. I am also attaching a sample program main.c which should
> hopefully make the use of the library clear.

Couple of thoughts:

1. red/black b-trees have superior worst case performance as it
relates to rebalancing, and the implementation doesn't add a
lot of complexity:
http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/redblack.html

2. Paul Vixie's b-tree implementation has been around since the mid-80's
or so, and simply from an historical perspective is worth a look
(comp.sources.unix anyone?):
http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sources/devel/func/avl-subs-2.php

3. GCC uses 'splay trees' to good advantage:
http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/splaytree.html
which have the property that most-recently referenced nodes
tend to be higher up in the tree.

--
Motivation will almost always beat mere talent.