Re: [klibc] klibc and what's the next step?

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Olaf Hering wrote:
It's a proposal, and I personally think it makes sense. If done, it is obviously very important that it doesn't change the overall operation of the system.
I think you can have that today, parted uses BLKPG to add and remoe
things. No idea what the benefit would be, but thats not relavant for
kinit or no kinit.

The notion that the kernel itself should do no partition parsing at all was advocated by Andries Brouwer. I violently disagree. Anything that the lack of which makes a normal system basically unusable should go into the kernel.

Does that mean "in kernel space", "in the kernel distribution" or "in memory completely under the control by the kernel?" That is really what this is about.

There could be a klibc-build binary in rootfs, build at the time the kernel was built, that can be invoked by the kernel in parallel with /sbin/hotplug.

Yes, the kernel rules are heuristics, but so would inevitably any user-level rules be too, so I don't want to move partition detection to initrd or similar.

The whole point of putting klibc in the kernel tree is so we can do this kind of stuff without breaking the stock kernel build as a self-contained entity. Without that objective, Olaf is right that it is not necessary.

	-hpa