Re: RFC: cleaning up the in-kernel headers

On 7/11/06, Dave Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 06:06:39PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
 > I'd like to cleanup the mess of the in-kernel headers, based on the
 > following rules:
 > - every header should #include everything it uses
 > - remove unneeded #include's from headers
 >
 > This would also remove all the implicit rules "before #include'ing
 > header foo.h, you must #include header bar.h" you usually only see when
 > the compilation fails.

You may want to add as a secondary goal, splitting up some of the
huge 3-headed monster include files like sched.h
(It's better than it used to be, but it still sucks, and that thing
#include's the world).  Worst, iirc module.h pulls it in, which means
everything built as a module is pulling in hundreds of includes
even though most of the time, it'll never use anything from the
indirect ones.
If you pull this off, you can shave a lot off compile time as almost
every component #includes module.h