Re: Depmod errors on 2.6.17.4/2.6.18-rc1/2.6.18-rc1-mm1

Matt Reuther wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 July 2006 02:56 am, Antonino A. Daplas wrote:
>> Matt Reuther wrote:
>>> I ran 'make menuconfig' and I got the same warnings. Perhaps CONFIG_FB
>>> needs to be part of the 'selects' line for any option that selects the
>>> backlight support. I think the USB Apple Cinema display support, which I
>>> set as modular, might have selected backlight. I don't need framebuffer
>>> support, so I have that shut off. Here are the depmod warnings once
>>> again:
>> Yes, that's the culprit.  I've been thinking for some time to eliminate
>> the framebuffer dependency from lcd/backlight.  Can you try the patch I
>> sent in another thread?
>>
>> Tony
>
> OK. I will give that a shot, probably this evening.
>
> Shouldn't kconfig recursively figure out dependencies for stuff like this?

'select' doesn't. So does 'depends on'. Anyway, I consider it wasteful to
also compile in fb when backlight/lcd is the only one needed. So try instead
the other patch (Statically link the framebuffer notification functions).

> I turned on Apple Cinema support without turning on the framebuffer, but
> Cinema needed backlight, which needed framebuffer. I can see kconfig turning
> on backlight, but not checking to see what backlight needed.

Yes, known problem with select.

> There might be similar issues with snd-miro, which seems to want stuff in
> snd_cs4231, which I think I have shut off.
>
> Thanks for your help. I try out your patch later on today, when I can get back
> to my computer.

Thanks for the report too.

Tony