Re: [Alsa-devel] OSS driver removal, 2nd round (v2)

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:08:10AM +0200, Adam Tlałka wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:58:26 +0200 (CEST)
> Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]> wrote:
> > You're a bit mixing things:
> >
> > a) we're not trying to be more compatible than OSS code in kernel, if you
> >    like to do the mixing in kernel, simply write a new ALSA lowlevel
> >    driver which will do it; I'm sure when the quality of your code will be
> >    good,  we'll include it to the ALSA tree, but we are not going this
> >    way unless someone else will maintain this code
>
> OSS kernel compatibility is only partial and aoss method is not fully compatible either

Except for some corner cases, ALSA is capable of emulating the
in-kernel OSS.

And considering the low number of applications that are still OSS-only,
I doubt it's really that important improving the OSS emulation even
further.

But this is open source software, so feel free to send patches.

> I will try to write some code but I have very little free time for that so I am trying
> to convince people to rethinking the case

This is not how open source software works.

If you think something is missing, you have to implement it.

If you spend your "very little free time" on such discussions instead,
you are not only wasting the time you could spend on implementing what
you are thinking of but also the limited time of other developers.

> Regards

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.