Re: [Alsa-devel] OSS driver removal, 2nd round (v2)

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 01:38 +0200, Adam Tlałka wrote:
> >> the card driver buffers/period etc. settings but lacks ease of use and
> >> some of simple in theory functionality is a pain - device enumeration
> >> or switching output mode/device without restarting apps or rewritting
> >> them so they have special function for that purpose.
> >>

> > Does any available sound driver interface allow switching output devices
> > with no help from the app and without having to restart playback?  OSS
> > does not, and every Windows app I've used has a configuration option to
> > set the sound device, and you must stop and start playback for it to
> > take effect.
>
> Sorry but is a Windows solution the best on the whole world?
> Is there any problem to imagine an abstract sound device which virtually
> always works but uses real device chosen by user, network redirection or
>   emulating work and we have some control panel/app which can control
> connections/plugins/redirections etc. (also this can be done by some
> kind of daemon responding to hw change events)?
> Do we really need to program every sound app to have device setting code?

The problem is you trade ease of development for performance, penalizing
the users to save developer time.  Your proposals would require every
app to go through a software buffering layer.

Of course, you're free to develop a system like this.

> >> esd, arts, jackd, polypd and other prove that ALSA is not enough
> >> and its functionality is far from perfect.
> >>

> > esd and artsd are no longer needed since ALSA began to enable software
> > mixing by default in release 1.0.9.
>  >

> So why they are still exist in so many Linux distributions?

Backwards compatibility, bugs still being worked out, waiting for
upstream to catch up, etc.  Same reason that distros never have the very
latest version of every app.

> > As for jackd and other apps that
> > provide additional functionality - no one ever claimed ALSA would handle
> > every audio related function imaginable.  It's just a low level HAL.
>
> Format changing, resampling, mixing and supporting additional plugins
> does not seems to be just low level HAL for hw device. It creates some
> kind of virtual functionality which means more then this provided by
> hardware device itself.

OK, but my point is that it does not make sense to put every imaginable
audio feature in ALSA.

Lee