Re: Automatic Kernel Bug Report

Daniel Bonekeeper <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 7/10/06, Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi!
>
> Hi ! =)

Hi all out there!

> > Well, unless we have some volunteer to go through the bugreports and
> > sort them/kill the invalid ones/etc... this is going to do more harm
> > than good.

> As I told before, I wouldn't care to do that,

Who will, then?

>                                               as long as I know that
> it is actually being used (and useful).

If you don't care about the data...

>                                         The system (at the server
> side) could automatically

/Someone/ will have to program/configure/tweak/maintain that...

>                           route some reports (mark them as "tainted
> modules detected", etc, that sort of mechanical stuff),

Mechanical != trivial, and much less == "does it by itself, all alone"...

>                                                         and according
> to the frequency of certain bugs, I could check if they are actually
> real bugs. If so, they get reported here on LKML.

Which helps how in getting more new people up to speed and involved in bug
fixing? (Last I heard, that was the current bottleneck...)

>                                                   Since we can expect,
> maybe, dozens of thousands of reports per week, wouldn't be hard to
> distinct between real bugs, etc (if we use frequency as a marker). For
> example, if the number of reports on Suspend2 get risen up sensitively
> on some just-released kernel, this means that something that was added
> isn't working (so here comes the personal debug, where we can see if
> it's a new bug or a regression)

That kind of stuff is currently sitting in bugzillas all over the
distributions. And again, what is required is people willing to see if they
can reproduce the bug (and that may mean getting an obscure piece of
hardware, etc) and then see if they can fix it.