Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: uswsusp history lesson

Hi.

On Sunday 09 July 2006 22:15, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 09:25:12PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > Now there seem to be two possible ways to go:
> > 1) Drop the implementation that already is in the kernel and replace it
> > with the out-of-the-tree one.
>
> This would break existing interfaces to some extent, right? suspend2
> doesn't have the same set of tunables. I'm not sure whether this is
> something we especially care about, but it would potentially break some
> existing userland code.

I don't want to go this way immediately, but if we did, it doesn't need to
mean breakage for userland. Suspend2 could replace the tunables that swsusp
uses, so it could be a transparent replacement for swsusp, assuming that the
filewriter was turned off by default. (I say this because if the filewriter
and swapwriter are both compiled in, the format for resume2 is

resume2=[swap|file]:/dev/<whatever><:offset>

But with only the swapwriter or only the filewriter, the "swap" or "file" is
optional.

Regards,

Nigel
--