Re: Automatic Kernel Bug Report

On 7/9/06, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 16:01:58 EDT, Daniel Bonekeeper said:

> Sometimes the user may be just somebody that just started using linux,
> or is in an industry that has nothing related to computers. He doesn't
> even know that syslog exists, and even if he did, he could not even
> care about it.

This user will do whatever his distro tells him to do, which is almost
certainly something *other* than what a kernel.org kernel should do.
If he's running Ubuntu, it should do whatever Ubuntu does.  If he's
on Fedora Core, it should poke the RedHat bugzilla, and so on.

If he's running a kernel.org kernel, it's probably safe to assume *some*
level of clue

This was actually just an example circunstance of why somebody would
not report a bug. Dozens of other circunstances may be given, and it
just illustrates why would be good to have those bug reports without
user interaction. Of course I can go to bugzilla and fill a report
upon a bug, but I wouldn't care to have bug reports being sent from my
servers automatically, if it's an option. This would ensure that even
bug report from non-caring users are, well, reported.

Daniel
--
What this world needs is a good five-dollar plasma weapon.