Re: Commenting out out_of_memory() function in __alloc_pages()

On Saturday 08 July 2006 23:23, Abu M. Muttalib wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried with the /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory=2 and the system refused to
> load the program altogether.
>
> In this scenario is making overcommit_memory=2 a good idea?

(Good mailing list practices ask you not to top-post - that is, make your
reply text follow the text you are replying other than appearing before it,
as I demonstrate here:)

Well, how much memory do you have? Does the application actually need more
memory than your system can provide? If this is the case, there isn't going
to be any fix except add more memory. Your choices are:

1. Let the OOM killer sacrifice processes because you don't have enough memory
2. Disable VM overcommit so that the OOM killer doesn't get engaged (rather,
the application's attempt to grab the memory will fail)
3. Add more memory, don't mess with the overcommit sysctl, and watch things
work nicely :P

Are you sure it's not a memory leak? Does the application work on a freshly
booted system?

> Regards,
> Abu.

Thanks,