Re: Opinions on removing /proc/tty?

Ar Sad, 2006-07-08 am 10:12 -0400, ysgrifennodd Jon Smirl:
> > ps uses /proc/tty/drivers, so some coordination would be needed.
>
> Greg, I just looked at the source for ps and it has a bunch of fixed
> code for turning major/minor into /dev/name.  Isn't that something
> udevinfo should be doing? But looking at the help for udevinfo I don't
> see any way to turn a major/minor into /dev/name. The altermative
> seems to be search /dev looking for the right device node.

ps has some historical baggage in this area that probably ought to go,
but /proc/tty is used by various installers and management type apps so
shouldn't be going anywhere in a hurry.

Some of the stuff in there would be better in sysfs had sysfs been
around at the time. Other stuff like firmware loading in the serial
drivers would really benefit from a move to sysfs and hotplug events too