Re: OSS driver removal, 2nd round (v2)

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 01:50:00AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > Q: What about the OSS emulation in ALSA?
> > A: The OSS emulation in ALSA is not affected by my patches
> >    (and it's not in any way scheduled for removal).
>
> I again object to removing the old ICH sound driver.
> It does the same as the Alsa driver in much less code and is ideal
> for generic monolithic kernels

First of all, if you read my email you'll note that this driver isn't
currently scheduled for removal.

And more important, your comment is already covered by the other FAQ
entry in my email:

Q: But OSS is kewl and ALSA sucks!
A: The decision for the OSS->ALSA move was four years ago.
   If ALSA sucks, please help to improve ALSA.

> -Andi

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.