Re: swsusp / suspend2 reliability

On 7/7/06, Hua Zhong <[email protected]> wrote:
Greg had a good article on LWN: http://lwn.net/Articles/189467/. There you could find a more painful truth. You know what the real
reason is that suspend2 couldn't get merged? Not Nigel, not Pavel, but Linus, because he personally doesn't care. So if you want to
have a high-quality suspend-to-disk, your best bet is to convince Linus to use it. :-)

True.
That's right.
In the past someone called it a lack of leadership...

But reading the references you introduced, I've first realized in how
deep problem we, the user community who want to use suspend-to-disk
and not suspend-to-ram, are.

It is so pity that the whole suspend (ram AND disk) process is not
addressed as a whole... Just because Linus does not care.

And if suspend-to-disk is more complex, it should be solved first,
since suspend-to-ram can be a subset of the process (Although people
in the past dismissed this claim... :( ).

So I guess we will continue to use suspend2 for a long while... Since
at least someone cares, and have a vision reacher than hay I can do
this in userspace.

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.