Re: [patch] i386: require ACPI for NUMA with generic architecture

On 7/7/06, Chuck Ebbert <[email protected]> wrote:

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 11:43:37 -0700, Keith Mannthey wrote:

> On 7/6/06, Chuck Ebbert <[email protected]> wrote:
> > X86 Generic Architecture (X86_GENERICARCH) includes support for
> > Summit architecture.  Enabling X86_GENERICARCH, SMP and HIGHMEM64G
> > allows NUMA to be selected but that configuration will not build
> > because it requires ACPI for the Summit NUMA support.
>
> Good catch.    With X86_GENRICARCARCH perhaps NUMA should always be on
> or am I missing something with how it is supposed to work?  Shouldn't
> X86_GENRICARCARCH buy you the ablility to boot(correctly) on all the
> diffrent archs listed?

AFAIK not all Summit machines are NUMA, so maybe the flexibility is
needed.  e.g. some might want GENERICARCH without HIGHMEM64G.
 I see you point. Flexability is good.

 A non numa Summit box is just regular SMP.  The Summit hw platform
is a multi node hardware layout and single nodes are valid and common.
All Summit HW (numa and non) can boot regular smp kernels (numa boxes
pay the performance hit).  The Summit sub-arch is needed to setup i386
NUMA for the box in multi-node situations not to perform basic bootup.
 Booting Summit without NUMA is sort of missing the point...

Thanks
 Keith