boot errors in kernels 2.6.17-mm6 plus 2.6.18-rc1

Hi Roman, hi John Stultz,
Andrew told me that you were working on that issue.

I use Debian Etch in connection with latest kernel-headers and kernels.
My system is a Pentium 4, the graphics card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro with 32 MB RAM.
When I compile both mentioned kernels, I can activate FB and FB_VESA.
But if I add „vga=791“ to menu.lst (i. e. as an additional parameter for the kernel to boot) two bugs happen:
1. The kernel takes an eternity to boot, taking about 4 long breaks to come up at all
2. the AT keyboard (atkbd.c) is not functional (i. e. I type in one letter at boot prompt and this letter is being duplicated for about 50 times

If I leave out the kernel parameter (vga=791) evrything is working fine so far without any faults.

Would you please fix this in the above mentioned kernels, so that I can use my system again with a startup screen including the small little penguin at startup?

Regards

Uwe

P. S. 1: This issue is not, as I thought first, a atkbd.c issue for Dmitry Torokhov, but a pure framebuffer issue.
P. S. 2: Is that email OK so far or should I open an entry at kernel.bugzilla?