Re: + edac-new-opteron-athlon64-memory-controller-driver.patch added to -mm tree

--- Andi Kleen <[email protected]> wrote:

> [moving to l-k - the discussion is how EDAC tries
> to duplicate already existing interface including
> a whole new duplicate polling machine check handler]
>
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 10:28:34PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Ar Llu, 2006-07-03 am 20:48 +0200, ysgrifennodd Andi Kleen:
> > > The only way to get the slot name <-> address mapping is
> > > to ask the BIOS.
> > >
> > > I bet you hardcoded it for your systems right?
> >
> > Why don't you read the code ? Wouldn't be hard to check now would
> it.
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm right from the code, but I was asking for
> confirmation.

The code provides for setting the DIMM labels from userspace (the
mechanism) which can utilize DMI tables or explicit motherboard label
implementation. See below on trustworthiness of DMI tables.

> Ok hardcoding was perhaps the wrong word, but what they output
> isn't useful to identify the broken DIMM if you don't have very
> detailed
> documentation of the motherboards which 99+% of all users don't.

Without correct DMI tables, this is true - it does require motherboard
information. But if there are DMI tables, then the labels can be
generated from DMI tables.  We have notices too that the 'labels' found
in the DMI tables do NOT match the silkscreens located on the
motherboards proper.

> > > Can you describe in more detail why you think that's not the
> case?
> >
> > I did that, you said "buzzwords" insulted me and deleted the
> argument
> > then started this second discussion as if it never occurred. Not
> > productive.
>
> It was refering to Doug's assertation that the memory address
> is not enough to identify the DIMM.
>
> I bet it was only because they didn't use the SMBIOS information,
> but again I was asking for confirmation.

EDAC does NOT use the SMBIOS information. It provides userland
interface for setting/getting DIMM labels.

75% plus of our systems ship with LinuxBIOS. The rest with factory BIOS
for various reasons. LinuxBIOS has NO DMI/SMBIOS information available
for searching.

Our LinuxBIOS engineers have found that the majority of the DMI/SMBIOS
tables are incorrect and provide a false sense of security in terms of
getting the right information that is needed in finding failing devices
(DIMMs).

In Bluesmoke, which is the nursery of EDAC, it utilizes a mechanism to
set/get a CSROW/CHANNEL DIMM with a label from userspace. In the
generic case, the userland script "can" parse the DMI tables if they
are there and the user wishes to perform such automatic labeling. An
override allows the explicit specification of vendor/model of
motherboard. It does use a file based database for lookup - but that is
simply an implementation.

Using the same Bluesmoke 'pattern' of setter/getter DIMM labeler, EDAC
is providing the mechanism of labeling the DIMMs. Where that label
information comes from is pushed to userland: the implementations can
be expanded to use DMI tables if desired (dmidecode based script), or
an explicit labeling script. Currently, the EDAC scripts are not
written, as they are awaiting final sysfs interface. But the pattern is
the same as the working bluesmoke scripts. And they can be added to
with more policy.

Our users demand 100% correct DIMM labeling for error fault isolation,
with minimal manual operation - that is the requirement we are trying
to satisfy. These items are what lead to the Bluesmoke/EDAC labeling
solution pattern.

doug thompson