Re: ext4 features

[email protected] wrote:

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 19:00:38 EDT, Bill Davidsen said:
[email protected] wrote:

There's other issues as well.  Why do people run 'tripwire' on boxes that
have RAID on them?
What has RAID got to do with detecting hacking?

Actually, I've had tripwire detect more *accidental* changes due to buggy
software than I have had it detect actual hacking.  Oh, and it's good at
catching unintended config changes - I started using tripwire after I
fat-fingered a script, and the machine backed up to /dev/null instead of
/dev/rmt0.
But it ran faster, right? ;-)

In fact, I've never actually had tripwire detect actual hacking.
I was using hacking in the general sense, I have a spiffy quote around about being in more danger from incompetence than malice. Patches with side effects, changes which work but reset directory permissions and/or ownership... I think it was Pogo who said "we have met the enemy and he is us."

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc