Re: ext4 features (checksums)

Neil Brown wrote:
Can't say I agree with this layering distinction.
It's been some years that I've felt that most 'logical volume
management' really belongs in the filesystem.
Why have a dm that chops devices up in to segments and assembles them to
look like a big device, only to have that big device chopped up and
presented as files.  Seems like double handling to me.

Agreed, and allow me to take an even more radical position:

I've long felt that things like snapshotting and mirroring made a lot of sense at the filesystem level -- as do layered filesystems, just like we layer block devices.

Block device drivers (MD, DM) get ever more complicated, and ultimately become mini-filesystems themselves. The metadata managed by blkdev drivers continues to increase in complexity. What is represented to the upper layer as a contiguous run of bytes is really, under the hood, chunks of data coalesced logically -- just like files in a filesystem.

The more complex that blkdev drivers become, the more and more they will look like filesystems.

	Jeff