Re: New readahead - ups and downs new test

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:39:30PM +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 03:50:27PM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 07:55:16AM +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> > > Hi Helge,

> > > There are a lot changes between 2.6.15 and 2.6.17-mmX. Would you use
> > > the single 2.6.17-mm5 kernel for benchmarking? It's easy:
> > >
> > >         - select old readahead:
> > >                 echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/readahead_ratio
> > >
> > >         - select new readahead:
> > >                 echo 50 > /proc/sys/vm/readahead_ratio
> > >

> > I just tried this with 2.5.17-mm5.  I did in on a faster
> > machine (opteron cpu, but still 512MB) so don't compare with
> > my previous test which ran on a pentium-IV.
> > Single cpu in both cases.
> >
> > Test procdure:
> > 1. Reboot, log in through xdm
> > 2. run vmstat 10 for swap monitoring
> > 3. time debsums -s
> > 4. As soon as the machine touches swap, launch
> >    time bzcat 2.6.15-mm5.bz2 | patch -p1
> >
> > In either case, testing starts with 320MB free memory after boot,
> > which debsums caching eats in about a minute and swapping starts.
> > Then I start the patching, which finished before debsums.
> >
> > Old readahed:
> > Max swap was 700kB, but it dropped back to 244kB after 10s
> > and stayed there.
> > Patch timing:
> > real    0m37.662s
> > user    0m5.002s
> > sys     0m2.023s
> > debsums timing:
> > real    5m50.333s
> > user    0m21.127s
> > sys     0m14.506s
> >
> > New readahead:
> > Max swap: 244kB.  (On another try it jumped to 816kB and then fell back
> > to 244kB).
> > patch timing:
> > real    0m40.951s
> > user    0m5.043s
> > sys     0m2.061s
> > debsums timing:
> > real    5m46.555s
> > user    0m21.195s
> > sys     0m13.918s
> >
> > Timing and memory load seems to be almost identical this time,
> > perhaps this is a load where the type of readahead doesn't
> > matter.
>
> Thanks. You are right, the readahead logic won't affect the swap cache.
> Nor will the readahead size, I guess. But to be sure, you can do one
> more test on it with the following command, using the same 2.5.17-mm5:

Well, I did not expect readahead to directly affect swap, but there was
this very noticeable difference on the pentium-IV machine.
Different io patterns & disk head movement patterns may alter timing
and make the memory pressure situation seem different (and more/less
data coming in as readahead might affect memory pressure also.)
369k vs 22M swap is a lot.

I have found an important difference between the two machines,
the one with the big differences with/without new readahead
has /usr and /usr/src on the same physical disk, although
separate partitions.  That makes for _lots_ of head movement,
when bzcat & patch is operating on /usr/src and debsums
is reading /usr.

That machine is not available for testing right now, but I'll
re-do my test with/without new readahed with a kernel source
tree on the same device as /usr.

>         blockdev --setra /dev/hda1 256

Using blockdev --getra on the two disks that holds /usr and
/usr/src gives me 2048.  So, now we get a test with 1/8
of the normal readahead?

Results: Swap went up to 500k and was down at the usual 244k
10s later.

patch timing:
real    0m38.265s
user    0m5.010s
sys     0m2.097s

debsums timing:
real    5m48.367s
user    0m21.015s
sys     0m13.950s

Seems --setra made no difference.

I'll copy the kernel tree to /usr, to see if anything interesting
happes when the two processes actually compete for the
same device.  That's what got so different last time, although with
differing kernel versions.

Helge Hafting