    List:       linux-kernel
    Subject:    Re: another subtle signals issue
    From:       Linus Torvalds
    Date:       2003-02-12 4:21:02

    And I have multiple times said that as far as Linux is
    concerned, ^Z is, has always been, and certainly for the 2.6.x
    timeframe _will_ be a signal that the kernel considers "caught".

The problem is that the "2.6.x timeframe" means something different now than it did then, and the question is when the following Linux-specific (mis)behaviour will ever be fixed.

==

Linux exhibits a unique behaviour among Unix implementations with respect to signals. When a program that is blocked in the middle of certain system calls is suspended by a signal (SIGSTSTP (^Z), SIGSTOP, SIGGTIIN, SIGTTOU) and then resumed by a SIGCONT signal, the system call fails with the error EINTR. ***This behaviour occurs even when no signal handler is installed for the stop or SIGCONT signals.*** (An example program showing the behaviour for one system call is appended to this message.)

This can cause applications that work on other Unix systems to behave unexpectedly on Linux.

On Linux, the current (2.6.17) system calls and functions that exhibit this behaviour are: futex(FUTEX_WAIT), epoll_wait(), poll(), read() from an inotify file descriptor (but not read()s from any other type of file descriptor, AFAIK), sem_wait(3) (because of futex(2)), semop(), semtimedop(), sigtimedwait(), and sigwaitinfo().

I have never seen this behaviour on any other Unix system, and at various times I've explicitly tested various blocking system calls on at least the following: Solaris 8, FreeBSD 4.8, HP-UX 11, Tru64 5.1B, Irix 6.5, and Darwin 7.2.

My reading of POSIX is that POSIX only permits a system call to fail with EINTR if a signal handler is involved (i.e., a signal is only considered "caught" if a handler is involved, a different definition of Linus's "caught" quoted at the start of this message). Some inquiries on the Austin group list quite a while back:

https://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_archive.tpl?source=L&listname=austin-group-l&first=1&pagesize=80&searchstring=signals+and+interruption+of+system+calls&zone=G
Or: http://tinyurl.com/l5at8