Re: Incorrect CPU process accounting using CONFIG_HZ=100

Peter Williams wrote:
> Con Kolivas wrote:

> >> Bummer!
> >>
> > The actual problem is that tasks
> > only get charged if they happen to be running at the precise moment the
> > tick fires. Now you could increase the accuracy of this timekeeping but
> > it is expensive and this is exactly the sort of thing that we're saving
> > cpu resources on by running at 100HZ (one of many).
>
> It could be (partly) done fairly cheaply in nanoseconds if sched_clock()
> was reliable enough (but comments on this mail list indicate that it
> currently isn't) as it is already called in all the right places for
> getting the total cpu time used (so just a subtraction, addition and
> assignment).  The reason that I say partly is that splitting the time
> into "system" and "user" would be a more complex problem.

If I am reading this correctly, then the kernel is accounting process times
twice:
	1. for external proc monitoring, using a probed approach
	2. for scheduling, using an inlined approach

Wouldn't merging the two approaches be in the interest of conserving cpu
resources, while at the same time reflecting an accurate view of cpu
utilization?

Thanks!

--
Al