Re: Kernel API Reference Documentation

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 22:42:20 +0200 Lukas Jelinek wrote:

>  >
> > FYI, there are already some kernel-doc rules in
> > Documentation/kernel-doc-nano-HOWTO.txt.  These rules work with the
> > doc. generator in the kernel tree (scripts/kernel-doc).
> > Do you have suggestions for how to make them (the rules) better?
> > so that the in-tree kernel doc. will improve...
>
> These rules seem to be good. I will try to use the generator
> (scripts/kernel-doc) and check the result.
>
> But the bigger problem is that many headers are not documented at all.
> And some code is documented but not complying the rules.

Yes, well aware of both of those, plus a few minor problems
with scripts/kernel-doc itself.
I just added a minor rules-checker to the script and have
more plans for it.

We try to have new exported interfaces documented (I don't try
on static [private] interfaces).

I have had email with a professor in China who was going to have
some students do some work in this area, but I haven't heard back
from him (over 1 month ago).

> > Q2:  what do I get when I download one of the tarballs from kernel-api.org?
> >

> Each tarball contains exactly the same as can be browsed online at
> kernel-api.org. There is no difference.

OK.

> > Q3:  Can we see your sed scripts?
> >

> Yes, here it is (it's really small and mindless):

Thanks.

---
~Randy