Re: remove __read_mostly?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Paul Jackson wrote:

> In other words, the name __read_mostly is a little misleading, in my
> book.  That name only suggests read much more than written.  In your
> words:
>
>     something like 99:1 read

99:1 may be too small a ratio.

A read_mostly marked variable should be changed rarely (meaning is
is extremely unlikely that his is going to change) but read frequently.

F.e. configuration data for timer operations, number of possible
processors and stuff like that.

If we would make the operation to write to the read_mostly section more
expensive (by f.e. replicating the data per node) then this would hold off
the uses that are changing too frequently.