Re: More weird latency trace output (was Re: 2.6.17-rt1)

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 00:12 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Lee Revell <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I've found the bug.  The latency tracer uses get_cycles() for
> > > timestamping, which uses rdtsc, which is unusable for timing on dual
> > > core AMD64 machines due to the well known "unsynced TSCs" hardware bug.
> > >
> > > Would a patch to convert the latency tracer to use gettimeofday() be
> > > acceptable?
> >
> > OK, I tried that and it oopses on boot - presumably the latency tracer
> > runs before clocksource infrastructure is initialized.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions at all as to what a proper solution
> > would look like?  Is no one interested in this problem?
>
> does it get better if you boot with idle=poll? [that could work around
> the rdtsc drifting problem] Calling gettimeofday() from within the
> tracer is close to impossible - way too many opportunities for
> recursion. It's also pretty slow that way.

Probably, but that seems like an extremely heavy solution.  Won't it
turn my box into a space heater?

I'm thinking of replacing get_cycles() with low level code to just read
the PM timer.  I can deal with the slowness, this is just a debug
feature after all.

It seems that there might be a solution involving per CPU data, but I'm
not nearly a good enough kernel hacker to attempt that.

(I hope AMD fixes this issue in a future generation of CPUs.  At least,
they seem to acknowledge that it's a bug...)

Lee