Re: 2.6.17-mm1: UML failing w/o SKAS enabled

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 05:46:23PM -0400, Jeff Dike wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 05:07:14PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> > Well, because my host kernel is running a completely stock 2.6.17
> > kernel and so I don't have the SKAS patch applied.  If the goal is to
> > abandon tt mode, it would be really nice if the SKAS patch gets
> > integrated into mainline first....
>
> UML has a form of skas which runs on stock hosts.  defconfig will give
> you a CONFIG_MODE_SKAS, !CONFIG_MODE_TT UML which will run on an
> unmodified host.

It might be good to explicitly state that in the Kconfig
documentation, in particular in the documentation for CONFIG_MODE_TT.
Note that the entry for CONFIG_MODE_SKAS still mentions the need for
an external patch, and I tried searching 2.6.17-mm1's x86 config
options to see if the SKAS patch had been applied, and I couldn't find
anything, so I assumed that SKAS still required the out-of-tree patch.
If the situation is changed,

config MODE_SKAS
        bool "Separate Kernel Address Space support" if MODE_TT
        default y
        help
        This option controls whether skas (separate kernel address space)
        support is compiled in.  If you have applied the skas patch to the
        host, then you certainly want to say Y here (and consider saying N
        to CONFIG_MODE_TT).  Otherwise, it is safe to say Y.  Disabling this
        option will shrink the UML binary slightly.

Also, just as a suggestion, it might be a good idea to update the UML
HOWTO in Documentation/uml/UserModeLinux-HOWTO.txt (or at least the
November 18, 2002 date), and also the SKAS page at:

	http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/skas.html

Regards,

							- Ted