Re: Measuring tools - top and interrupts

--- Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 16:37 -0700, Danial Thom
> wrote:
> > I'm sorry, but you're being an idiot if you
> think
> > that 16K interrupts per second and forwarding
> 75K
> > pps generate no cpu load. Its just that
> simple.
> > It also means that you've never profiled a
> kernel
> > because you don't understand where the loads
> are
> > generated. You've probably been on too many
> lists
> > with too many people who have no idea what
> > they're talking about.
>
> (what horrid manners)
>
> Hm.  You may be right about the load average
> calculation being broken.
>
> Below is a 100 second profile sample of my 3GHz
> P4 handling 15K
> interrupts per second while receiving a flood
> ping.  My interpretation
> is that tools should be showing ~10% cpu load
> rather than zero.  Am I'm
> misinterpreting it?
>
>  97574 total
>   0.0258
>  89549 default_idle
> 1017.6023
>   1734 ioread16
>  36.8936
>   1138 ioread8
>  24.7391
>    974 rhine_start_tx
>   1.3994
>    534 __do_softirq
>   3.8417
>    331 handle_IRQ_event
>   3.2772
>    223 rhine_interrupt
>   0.0739
>    222 memset
>   7.9286
>    194 nf_iterate
>   1.5520
>    140 local_bh_enable
>   1.0769
>     99 __kmalloc
>   1.0532
>     92 net_rx_action
>   0.2000
>     85 kfree
>   0.9884
>     82 skb_release_data
>   0.6406
>     77 csum_partial_copy_generic
>   0.3105
>     73 ip_push_pending_frames
>   0.0681
>     71 __alloc_skb
>   0.2898
>     69 kmem_cache_free
>   1.3529
>     66 kmem_cache_alloc
>   1.3750
>     62 csum_partial
>   0.2153
>     61 rt_hash_code
>   0.4959
>     61 ip_append_data
>   0.0253
>     60 netif_receive_skb
>   0.0516
>     58 ip_rcv
>   0.0471
>     58 ip_local_deliver
> [...]
Thats a pretty crappy controller you have in with
that shiny P4...

I'm not sure that they want the tools to work.
They'll just call you a troll and go on
developing unnecessary things like NAPI because
they're still using controllers designed by DEC
(remember them?) back in the stone ages.

Yet I regularly encounter people using cheap NICs
with expensive cpus on network-intensive
applications. But you'd think one or two people
would have a clue.

DT