Re: [RFC] PCI extended conf space when MMCONFIG disabled because of e820

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:47:57PM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > We need to improve this "mmconfig disabled" anyhow. Having the extended
> > config space unavailable on lots of machines is also far from a viable
> > solution :)
>
> it's unlikely to be many machines though.

I just noticed today - this check killed PCI Express on 3 of the 4
machines I normally use for testing. Digging a bit deeper, I found
this in the PCI firmware spec (v 3.0):

If the operating system does not natively comprehend reserving the
MMCFG region, the MMCFG region must be reserved by firmware. The
address range reported in the MCFG table or by _CBA method (see
Section 4.1.3) must be reserved by declaring a motherboard resource.
For most systems, the motherboard resource would appear at the root
of the ACPI namespace (under \_SB) in a node with a _HID of EISAID
(PNP0C02), and the resources in this case should not be claimed in
the root PCI bus.s _CRS. The resources can optionally be returned in
Int15 E820 or EFIGetMemoryMap as reserved memory but must always be
reported through ACPI as a motherboard resource

Sure enough, the ACPI namespace for the "broken" machines lists
the MMCFG resources as indicated above, and PCI Express works fine
otherwise. I haven't looked yet whether it's possible to add this
check in the code, have you looked into that option? I understand
the PCI firmware spec is not necessarily the final authority on
this, but a _lot_ of BIOS developers read that to figure out what
to do...

Rajesh