Re: Possible bug in do_execve()

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 02:42:50PM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Sonny Rao ([email protected]):
> > On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 02:09:10PM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > FWIW, ppc and cris do the NO_CONTEXT check, while others don't
> > > even have a arch-specific 'mm->context.id'.
> >
> > Good point.  I probably stated that concern too narrowly.  Probably
> > what I should say is: What is the pre-condition for calling
> > destroy_context() ?  Is it that init_new_context() must have
> > succeeded?  Or is it merely that mm.context has been zeroed
> > out?
>
> Right, that may be the right question.  If that's the case, then the
> problem is really include/linux/sched.h:__mmdrop() which is what's
> calling destroy_context().  Separating that out becomes a pretty
> big patch affecting at least all mmput() and mmdrop() callers.

So mmdrop() inlines to an atomic_dec_and_test on mm_count and a call
to __mmdrop which makes three calls : mm_free_pgd(), destroy_context(),
and free_mm().  I _think_ that in this case __mmdrop() will always get
called.

We know that the destroy_context() is unnecessary, but mm_free_pgd()
and free_mm() are necessary.

I was thinking we _could_ open code these calls in exec.c but that seems
like a "Really Bad Idea" w.r.t abstraction/maintenance etc,
and the alternative is to make another function/macro just for this
special case, which also seems like a poor choice.

> > It seems to assume that mm->context is valid before doing a check.
> >
> > Since I don't have a sparc64 box, I can't check to see if this
> > actually breaks things or not.
>
> So we can either go through all arch's and make sure destroy_context is
> safe for invalid context, or split mmput() and destroy_context()...
>
> The former seems easier, but the latter seems more robust in the face of
> future code changes I guess.

Yes, the former does seem easier, and perhaps easiest is to do that
and document what the pre-conditions are so future developers at least
have a clue.