Re: emergency or init=/bin/sh mode and terminal signals

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> linux-os (Dick Johnson), le Mon 19 Jun 2006 07:37:02 -0400, a écrit :
>> I don't think this is the correct behavior. You can't allow some
>> terminal input to affect init. It has been the de facto standard
>> in Unix, that the only time one should have a controlling terminal
>> is after somebody logs in and owns something to control. If you want
>> a controlling terminal from your emergency shell, please exec /bin/login.
>
> Ok, but people don't know that: they're given a shell, and wonder why on
> hell ^C doesn't work...
>
> Samuel

Attached is a simple program called shell. You can copy it to /bin/shell
and use it instead of /bin/bash for your emergency shell. It provides
for terminal control, plus it protects against exit because it does
its work from a fork()ed process and if that exits another is fork()ed
forever.

It has been tested and works, however after you do your emergency
stuff, you can't (correctly) exec /sbin/init as you could with
bash alone, because the executing task does not have PID=1. Instead,
you will have to manually unmount any file-systems you mounted, then
reboot using Ctr-Alt-Del.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.16.4 on an i686 machine (5592.88 BogoMips).
New book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
_

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email protected] - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.