Re: Why can't I set the priority of softirq-hrt? (Re: 2.6.17-rt1)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Steven Rostedt wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Esben Nielsen wrote:

I am sorry. I should have read some more of the code before asking.

The only question I have is why the priority of the callback is set to
priority of the task calling hrtimer_start() (current->normal_prio). That
seems like an odd binding to me. Shouldn't the finding of the priority be moved over to the
posix-timer code, where it is needed, and be given as a parameter to
hrtimer_start()?
In rtmutex.c, where a hrtimer is used as a timeout on a mutex, wouldn't it
make more sense to use current->prio than current->normal_prio if the task
is boosted when it starts to wait on a mutex.

That seems reasonable.  It probably is a bug to use normal_prio, since we
really do care what prio is at that time.

But I am not sure I like the design at all:

Let say you have a bunch of callback running at priority 1 and then the
next hrt timer with priority 99 expires. Then the callback which
is running will be boosted to priority 99. So the overall latency at
priority 99 will at least the latency of the worst hrtimer callback.

You mean for those that expire at the same time?

No, when the priority 1 (userspace prio) expires just before the priority 99.

I don't think this is a problem, because the run_hrtimer_hres_queue runs
the hightest priorty callback first, then it adjusts its prio to the next
priority callback.  See hrtimer_adjust_softirq_prio.

And worse: What if the callback running is blocked on a mutex? Will the
owner of the mutex be boosted as well? Not according to the code in
sched.c. Therefore you get priority inversion to priority 1. That is the
worst case hrtimer latency is that of priority 1.

I don't see this.

Look at this situation:
softirq-hrt, running some callback, is priority 1 (US prio as always) blocked for a mutex owned by some task, A. This now have priority 1 (in the worst case).The HRT interrupt comes and calls setscheduler(... prio 99).
That doesn't change the priority of task A as far as I can see from the code.
So in effect the priority 99 callback will wait for task A which is still
priority 1. That is a priority inversion.

Therefore, a simpler and more robust design would be to give the thread
priority 99 as a default - just as the posix_cpu_timer thread. Then the
system designer can move it around with chrt when needed.
In fact you can say the current design have both the worst cases of having
it running as priority 99 and at priority 1!

I still don't see this happening.

The two worst cases are:
1) The system wide system 99 worst case latency is at least that of the longest callback.
2) The worst case latency of softirq-hrt is that of priority 1.

If you could set it by chrt you could at least choose which evil thing you want.

Another complicated design would be to make a task for each priority.
Then the interrupt wakes the highest priority one, which handles the first
callback and awakes the next one etc.

Don't think that is necessary.

Me neither :-) Running sofhtirq-hrt at priority 99 - or whatever is set by chrt - should be sufficient.

-- Steve

Esben