Re: GFS2 and DLM

* Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 01:17:13PM +0100, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Linus, Andrew suggested to me to send this pull request to you directly.
> > Please consider merging the GFS2 filesystem and DLM from (they are both
> > in the same tree for ease of testing):
>
> Did anyone actually bother to review it?  It's huge and was in pretty
> bad shapre when I looked last time.  Also in the -mm merge writeup you
> guys said it's only scheduled for 2.6.19 so I didn't even bother
> looking at the huge mess.

i'm confused, are we looking at the same piece of code? Perhaps you are
still looking at some older codebase? fs/gfs2/ in Steven's current GIT
tree is a nicely isolated 29K lines of code, fs/dlm/ [distributed lock
manager] is 11K lines of code. Both look and work like normal Linux
code. (and there's almost zero impact to generic code.)

Contrast that size for example to the 111K lines of code in fs/xfs/,
which no doubt has improved recently but still looks a bit alien. For
example the myriads locking APIs are still quite confusing in XFS, and
it still feels like a kernel within the kernel. The other cluster
filesystem which was merged recently, OCFS2, is 44K lines of code. So
really, on what basis do you call GFS2 "huge"?

	Ingo