Re: [git pull] ieee1394 tree for 2.6.18

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Al Viro wrote:

> Hrm...  That's actually one thing git might do - how hard would it be
> to teach git-upload-pack to generate the diffstat and shortlog instead
> of a pack?  It has all information needed for that, after all...

It _does_ do that.  When I do a pull, it shows me what got pulled, and if
I don't like it, I can just undo it.

But that's not the point.

I want to know what I'm pulling _ahead_ of time, AND I WANT TO KNOW THAT
WHAT I PULL IS WHAT THE SENDER INTENDED ME TO PULL!

No amount of "git tells me what I pulled" will ever give me either.

If the pushing side cannot be bothered to tell me what the repository
contains, I really don't want to have anything to do with that repository
or its maintainer. I want people to tell me what they are sending me,
because that way both they and I are aware of what to expect.

In other words, this is not about technology. This is about human
interaction. I do _not_ trust git repositories. I trust the people who
make those git repositories available, and that means that I want to hear
from them.

I want them to tell me what they are sending, so that _when_ I pull, I can
line up the result of that pull with the mail they sent, and I can tell
"ok, that's actually what the other side intended".

		Linus