Re: batched write

Hello

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 09:27 -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2006  10:04 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 02:08:32 +0400
> > "Vladimir V. Saveliev" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > The core of generic_file_buffered_write is
> > > do {
> > > 	grab_cache_page();
> > > 	a_ops->prepare_write();
> > > 	copy_from_user();
> > > 	a_ops->commit_write();
> > >
> > > 	filemap_set_next_iovec();
> > > 	balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited();
> > > } while (count);
> > >

> > > Would it make sence to rework this code with adding new address_space
> > > operation - fill_pages so that looks like:
> > >
> > > do {
> > > 	a_ops->fill_pages();
> > > 	filemap_set_next_iovec();
> > > 	balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited();
> > > } while (count);
> > >
> > > generic implementation of fill_pages would look like:
> > >
> > > generic_fill_pages()
> > > {
> > > 	grab_cache_page();
> > > 	a_ops->prepare_write();
> > > 	copy_from_user();
> > > 	a_ops->commit_write();
> > > }
> > >

> > There's nothing which leaps out and says "wrong" in this.  But there's
> > nothing which leaps out and says "right", either.  It seems somewhat
> > arbitrary, that's all.
> >
> > We have one filesystem which wants such a refactoring (although I don't
> > think you've adequately spelled out _why_ reiser4 wants this).
> >
> > To be able to say "yes, we want this" I think we'd need to understand which
> > other filesystems would benefit from exploiting it, and with what results?
>
> With the caveat that I didn't see the original patch, if this can be a step
> down the road toward supporting delayed allocation at the VFS level then
> I'm all for such changes.

Doesn't writepages method operation of address space provide enough
freedom for a filesystem to perform delayed allocation?

The goal of the patch was just to allow a filesystem to perform metadata
update for several newly added to a file pages at once. Currently,
filesystem is asked to do that once per page. Filesystems which have
complex algorithms involved into that may find this possibility useful
to improve performance.